This stone axe head was found c 1970 at a construction site on Raymond Road in Rocky Hill. The object is in the Society’s museum and was recently featured in a talk at The Cora Belden Library by Nick Bellantoni, Connecticut State Archaeologist. He stated; “…it was one of the best examples of an ax head from this period (2,000 to 4,000 years ago) he had ever seen uncovered in the state of Connecticut.” This axe would have been used to fell trees and make dugout canoes. Described as “magnificent” by Bellantoni who said the axe was of granite and had a groove to haft it to a handle with sinews or fibers.
The object was given to RHHS by Katherine Mirabello whose father found the axe.
Have you heard about the current Connecticut DOT proposal to double fares on the Chester-Hadlyme & Rocky Hill-Glastonbury ferries?
Instead, Connecticut DOT should consider other alternatives to increase revenues that have been proposed by members of the communities served by the two historic ferries.
A petition drive is underway where signers can express their opposition to the DOT proposal. Here is link to the petition
According to Ed Chiucarello, of the Rocky Hill Riverfront Preservation Society, a public meeting with the DOT about the fare increase to held at Rocky Hill Community Center, Room 1, on May 20th at 6:30PM.
These are the fares currently charged at the Rocky Hill/Glastonbury ferry:
Annual Meeting (6PM) and Special Presentation (7:30PM) about Selden Neck Island in History – United Methodist Church; 623 Old Main St, Rocky Hill
On Friday May 10 at 7:30 PM, in conjunction with our annual meeting, the Historical Society of Rocky Hill will present a 45 minute visual program, “Quarries of Selden Neck” by historian David Wordell. Mr. Wordell will be present to entertain questions and discussion following the viewing. Location: United Methodist Church, 623 Old Main Street, Rocky Hill. $10.00 per person. Enjoy coffee and dessert as we elect our officers for 2013-14.
The program details the days of quarries and schooners bound for New York City as well as other facts and folklore about Selden Island. Selden Neck Island is located in the Connecticut River between Lyme and Deep River.
The society now has a Facebook page. Please visit us here to add your comments, photos, and suggestions.
All proceeds from the October Tag Sale will benefit the Academy Hall Restoration Fund. The sale will be held on the grounds of the Academy on Saturday Oct 27 from 9 AM to 2 PM. Below an important note from a committee member:
Would any of you be able to help at the Rocky Hill Historical Society Tag Sale this coming Saturday, the 27th? We especially need people to help at 7:00 a.m. to carry boxes out to the tables on the sidewalk. We have a ton of stuff to put out, so the more people we have, the fewer trips each person needs to make, and the quicker we get done! Hope you can make it!
John Serra, our hardworking treasurer and researcher, has written “History of the Rocky Hill Historical Society: The First Fifty Years (1962-2012)”, in observance of the society’s anniversary. The document lists the people who volunteered and the events that took place in Academy Hall Museum and also off site.
In 1970, for example, academy Hall was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. Eight women know as the Barbersharps sung patriotic songs. Historical society member from Huntington, Long Island traveled by canoe on the Connecticut River to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Many names and program titles can be found in the extensive history of our society.
(from the society’s newsletter; Jeff Gubala, Ed.)
The entire document can be read at the “John Serra: History…” in the “Pages” sidebar at the right.
Just published on the Wethersfield Historical Society website:
Rocky Hill: A History by Rafaele Fierro
It was only a matter of time. Rocky Hill citizens since the 1820s had been petitioning the Connecticut General Assembly to become a separate town. Now in 1843 the residents of Wethersfield’s “Lower Community,” known since 1722 as Stepney Parish, took up the issue anew but with more vigor and in more numbers. Town leader Elias W. Robbins led this local independence movement, which succeeded by June of 1843. Rocky Hill would be the new town’s official name and henceforth would become known as the “political daughter of Wethersfield” to its north. Rocky Hill was not unique in its quest for and success in separation. Two other towns–Glastonbury and Newington–also emerged from Wethersfield.
And today, out of the 169 incorporated towns in Connecticut, more than half were created when they split from their “mothers.” Indeed, between 1820 and 1850, the state’s General Assembly incorporated 13 new towns, including Rocky Hill, one steeped in tradition and history, and created as much by nature’s fury as by the power of Connecticut’s legislative body…(left Philip Goffe House)
Men like Goffe found the land appealing because it stood high above the river whose flood plains narrowed down, just south of the long hill for which the town would be named ultimately. And because it seemed logical to these early settlers to cross the river along this tapered stretch, they helped establish a transport service in 1655. Later known as the Rocky Hill-Glastonbury ferry service, it remains the oldest ferry service in the United States. The settlers also realized that the land could be used for building ships and farming. A classic riverport was about to be born.
(read the rest of this interesting history on the “Rafaele Fierro..” Page in sidebar at the right)
This report originally appeared at Rocky Hill Patch:
Saturday June 9,,,
Anyone who wants to cross the Connecticut River on the nation’s oldest continuously operating ferry service can do it this Saturday for free.
The state is offering Connecticut residents discounted or free admission, free gifts, special exhibits and activities at more than 175 destinations across the state.
In Rocky Hill, the open house, which will run from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., will feature the following: